Subject: Re: cinematography
From: [email-masked] (Animation Productions)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 12:48:06

In article  "Bob Ingold" <[email-masked]> writes:

>        As a former student of classical animation, we have made comparisons between
>hand drawn animation and computer animation.  One observation was that 3D
>animation was slow (we are talking ameatuer level) while hand drawn animation
>cut faster.  Our teacher explained that drawing each frame was labor intensive
>and every frame counted.  Because 3D animation is drawn by the computer, there
>is little difference in rendering 12 frames or 30.  So scenes last longer than
>they should.

>"Bob Ingold" <[email-masked]> sent this message.

Are you talking camera movement or charater? I would have to disagree if you 
are talking camera movement, most computer animation I see do fall in the trap 
of zooming around the screen. 
I would agree though that traditional character animations, "characters", in 
most instances seem to have a lot more fluid movement and life, but the 
"camera" shooting the characters seem to stick to the tried and true slow 
pans, dollys etc.. and zoom's are rare and only happen on dramatic close 
up's  ... say ... just before the coyote turns to the camera with 50 ton of 
TNT about to blow up in his hands.
And EVERY frame DOES count in computer animation. Who wants to spend hours 
rendering more frames than they need?

Geoff Suttor

--
[email-masked] (Animation Productions) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]